Monday, May 3, 2010

Phil & Don

I am currently reading through Philip Norman's biography of John Lennon (which is approximately seven zillion pages long), John Lennon: The Life. This will be my second read-through (I first read it in mid-2008), but I am enjoying it no less than I did the first time around. The below paragraph talks about when John first began to look for a partner, someone with whom he could sing duets in the style of the Everly Brothers. I got goosebumps when I read this; I hope you do too.

~~~~~~~~~

Early June brought the first chart appearance of the Everly Brothers, Don and Phil, two former child country stars whose almost feminine close harmony created some initial confusion with Britain's own Beverley Sisters. The Everlys' number-six hit, "Bye Bye Love," so appealed to John's softer, melodic side - never mind the notion of having someone so close as a brother to sing with - that he began looking around for a partner to form an Everly-style duet. Since his usual blood brother, Pete Shotton, couldn't sing a note, he had a few tentative vocalizing sessions with Len Garry. But the closer-than-Everly brotherhood he was destined to form only a few weeks from now would not be called Lennon and Garry. (Philip Norman, John Lennon: The Life, p. 99)

blog comments powered by Disqus